2019 New Hampshire’s Kid Governor
Platform: Animal Cruelty
School: Sunset Heights Elementary School, Nashua, New Hampshire
Blog: Helping Animals
Press: NHKG Lola in the News
YouTube: 2019 New Hampshire’s Kid Governor Lola Giannelli
Executive Council: 2019 Kid Executive Council
Sunset Heights Elementary School student Lola Giannelli was born on August 8, 2008, in Nashua, New Hampshire. Lola is New Hampshire’s first Kid Governor! She was elected in November of 2018, and is fighting against animal cruelty by helping to initiate a bill that would prevent the sale of dogs, cats, and rabbits at pet stores unless they come from shelters or nonprofit organizations. She lives in Nashua with her mom, dad, and her older brother, Elijah. As you may have guessed, Lola loves animals! She has five pets: two dogs, one cat, a tortoise, and a guinea pig! Lola has also been elected president of Mini-Society at her school.
NHKG Lola’s Platform
2019 New Hampshire’s Kid Governor® Lola Giannelli was elected on her platform of Ending Animal Cruelty. Her platform focuses on three platform points to advocate for animals in the Granite State:
- Make pet toys for animal shelters
- Launch a campaign to bring a bill to Concord to stop the sale of dogs, cats, and rabbits in pet stores
- Collect supplies for shelters through donation drives
Watch Lola’s campaign video for more about her campaign!
Highlights from Lola’s Term in Office
Lola is announced as the 2019 New Hampshire’s Kid Governor!
January 18, 2019
Lola’s inauguration ceremony is held at the New Hampshire State House.
March 12, 2019
NHKG Lola attends the Nashua Board of Alderman meeting and is officially recognized as New Hampshire’s first Kid Governor with an official resolution and a desk at Nashua City Hall.
NHKG Lola visits town libraries in Hopkinton, Concord, and Hooksett to share her platform with other children, read stories, and lead dog toy making activities.
July 30, 2019
NHKG Lola joins Governor Chris Sununu at the Humane Society for Greater Nashua as he signed two bills into law that will help animals and strengthen animal cruelty penalties in New Hampshire.
October 19, 2019
NHKG Lola participates in the G.I.R.L. Expo put on by the Girl Scouts of the Greater White Mountains and leads a workshop about the Kid Governor program and her platform.
October 29, 2019
NHKG Lola holds a meeting where she presents her rationale for ending the sale of puppies, kittens, and rabbits in pet stores across New Hampshire. She educated the many attendees on a bill currently in the state legislature and how they can support it.
January 17, 2020
At the inauguration ceremony of 2020 NHKG Suzy, 2019 NHKG Lola gives her farewell address.
February 25, 2020
2019 NHKG Lola’s testimony is shared at the hearing for HB1388 which would prohibit the sale of cats, dogs, and rabbits in retail stores.
NHKG Lola’s Accomplishments
- Raised $330 for the Humane Society of Greater Nashua from a popcorn sale at her school
- Accompanied Governor Chris Sununu as he signed two bills into law that will help animals and strengthen animal cruelty penalties in New Hampshire
- Visited libraries across the state to share her platform with other children
- Created dog toys out of t-shirts on many occasions to donate to local SPCAs
- Educated her constituents on a bill that would prohibit the sale of cats, dogs, and rabbits in retail stores and how they can support it
- Sent letters to the state legislature and shared a personal testimony about HB1388